In the month of January the Marcus Graham Project will join the Harvard School of Public Health and MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership’s National Mentoring Month movement with a call to action to those that are seeking mentorship and connecting with individuals committed to reaching back (or over) to ensure the success of one’s career and personal goals.

Our call to action in the month of January is called #SpeakUP. Often those that are in need of mentors don’t “speak up” about their need to have a mentor or mentors in their lives. Likewise, those that have found success, whether they are newbies or vets, haven’t spoken up enough about how mentorship has landed them to where they are.

If you are interested in mentoring or being mentored please designate in this forum.  Raise your hand and #SPEAKUP!

Views: 524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings!

My name is Gregory Lamar Lewis, I'm an advertising professional with 5+ years’ experience working in the Greater New York Area and I’m here to #SpeakUP . I'm looking to be both a mentor as well as a mentee..

I've worked in several disciplines within advertising and experiential marketing, but my main focus has been Account Management. Past clients have included American Express, L'OREAL (Maybelline US Division) Johnson & Johnson, Novartis, Nikon, and Pfizer just to name a few. .

I’m looking to mentor someone who is eager to learn about the industry, hungry for knowledge and who is willing to take the time to build a good working relationship so we both get the most out of the experience. I’m also looking for someone who I can learn from and grow with as well.

I’m looking for a mentor who has at least 10+ years industry experience. I’m hoping my mentor will be someone that I can learn from and also exchange insights, tools and tips on how to best succeed as a person of color in this industry.

It would be great if both my mentor and mentee lived in NYC so we could meet up, but this is not a deal breaker

Best,

Gregory Lamar

I’ll gladly #speakup.  I’m in need of a mentor!  I’m 31 and have been working in PR off and on since 2005 since I got my MFA in PR and Org Com.  The places I’ve worked and the titles I’ve held look really great on my resume, but unfortunately at the majority of those places I haven’t had the best management and don’t feel like I’ve truly grown to the level I should be at.  What I’m looking for in a mentor is a seasoned professional with oodles of knowledge they’ve been dying to share, a very direct personally and hands on teaching style.  Someone who can help me figure out what it is that I do know so I can learn it and move to the next level.  While I would like to stay in PR I also have a strong interest in the advertising world and would also be interested in learning how to make a transition.  Sounds like a lot of work, I know. But it return you’ll get a mentee with a great sense of humor, a willingness to learn and WORK and my undying admiration.

If that sounds remotely appealing to you I look forward to connecting soon.

All the Best,

Cindy

Hello hello. I'm a recent Philly ad grad and I've been looking for a mentor for some time, but to no avail. Without a doubt, I'm on the creative side, but my skill set and experience are a bit unconventional. I've been trying to break out into the NY and Philly markets and it seems like a dead end so far. I try to get insights from industry people, yet I can't get straight answers or start a meaningful dialogue. I really appreciate face to face communication as opposed to consolation responses to otherwise buried emails. I love to discuss ideas and in a mentor that's what I seek.

While I am a "junior" in the industry I'm several years older than your typical grad. That's a gift and a curse in itself so I'd appreciate some guidance in both leveraging and negating it. I don't have all the answers, but I'm a sharp thinker and a great artist. If I'm on the same frequency as someone out there I'd like to hear from you. I can be reached at anthonywilson@hrangue.com or anthonywilsonjr.com

And when I finally do get established "out there" I hope to make a change in someone's life by mentoring. I have much to offer right now, but I want to be able to back it up.

Thank you.

Hey Ariel,

Check your messages please.

Thanks.

lcs

Ariel Maxie said:

My name is Ariel and I'm currently a senior at The University of Texas at Austin. In May, I will graduate with my bachelor degree in marketing and African American studies. My main career interests after college are in brand planning, brand management, and multicultural/target marketing. I also have an interest in account planning.

I am interested in being paired with a mentor who can give insight as to where to start in the advertising industry. Of course, I've taken a few steps such as applying for the Marcus Graham Project Internship this summer (I'm sending in my application this Friday) and doing internships around Austin, but someone who currently works in the industry as a minority would be a great person to talk to. Thanks for this opportunity to connect with a mentor!

Best,

Ariel

Hello!

My name is Samuel Malave and I am a graduate student at St. John's University pursuing a degree in International Communications. I obtained my Bachelor's in Advertising and would love to use my Master's to build upon the knowledge of the field I gained during my time as an undergraduate student. After graduation (or even before, if I am lucky!), I want to land a job at an ad agency within the Account Department; my dream is to become an Account Executive. I am slowly getting there as I am currently a finalist for the 4A's Multicultural Advertising Internship Program, which I hope will build my network and provide me with an opportunity to enter the industry.

I would enjoy being paired with a mentor because I often find myself in need of guidance and advice when it comes to the industry. I do not know many minorities in the field and I think this would be a great opportunity to gain insight on how to permeate this industry from someone with a similar background as myself.

Thank you for your time!

-Sammy

Hello all,

My name is Andie Jairam im a sophomore at Morehouse College. Im working on a BA degree in Business Marketing with hope of gaining entry level experience. It has been hard for me due to me not having any work experience. I am looking for a mentor to help me gain knowledge and show me how to gain work experience.  Thank You for your time.

Sincerely, 

Andie Jairam

Hi, I'm Kemy and my background is in digital, social, and advertising. I'm two years out of college, based in NYC and would love to have a mentor to guide me as I think of next steps for my career. 

@kemycakes

I am a mid-level Manager and would like to #SPEAKUP, as I am in need of a local mentor.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Lincoln Steffens.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service